Sunday, June 1, 2014

F*ck This Jam Entry (And Beyond Probably) - Calorie Quest!

After a 7-month hiatus I'm gonna work on making a game for the F*ck This Jam. The concept is to make a game in a genre you hate; my chosen genre is "fitness games." I don't particularly hate the genre, I simply haven't found a good one yet, so I'm gonna see if I can make one in the week that the jam gives me! I'm gonna share my progress on here as it goes, although in all honesty, with a full work week at my "real job", I'll probably take more than just one week to work on it.

I realize I've been far behind on this blog, and especially on the huge collection of games I need to review, and I really appreciate your patience! Gamedev is just an irresistible thing, no matter how time consuming, difficult, hair-ripping-out-ing and challenging as it is.

The concept of the game itself is pretty simple and subject to change: think old-school RPG meets exergame. You fight different enemies, but you're given a few different choices for each attack, and each one is a different exercise and time amount or reps. For example, you might be able to choose between jogging in place for two minutes, doing 5 push ups or 10 sit ups. Of course, the game doesn't actually KNOW when you've done it (except for timed things, the game will have a timer that you can start when you're ready), so it will trust you when you click that you completed it.

I'd also love to add modes where you can enter your total # of calories for the day and then face off against the calories you've eaten, or where you can just set a target number of calories to attack, etc. The tough part about this will be actually finding out the number of calories - there are sites, like SparkPeople, that can track it, but I really don't want to make people go over there to figure it out and then come back to the game. We'll see! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment